10 Tips for Recovering from Rhinoplasty Surgery
10 Tips for a Quick Recovery After a Rhinoplasty Procedure
If you have a deviated septum (broken nose), you most likely have difficulty breathing. The good news is that Dr. Kristina Tansavatdi may be able to help you breathe easier.
Once Dr. Tansavatdi completes your rhinoplasty, recovery begins. Every patient wants a quick rhinoplasty recovery devoid of any complications. The tips below are designed to help Dr. Tansavatdi’s patients while they recover from their Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping) procedure.
1. Do not blow your nose or sniff aggressively for at least two weeks following your rhinoplasty procedure. Also if you need to sneeze, sneeze with your mouth open.
2. Avoid smiling really wide or laughing too hard. Although this sounds stern, keep in mind that the less your nose moves around or stretches, the better. Keeping your nose stable ensures that the position Dr. Tansavatdi placed your nose in during your rhinoplasty procedure remains intact.
3. Do not wear clothing that requires you to pull it over your head; this will help you avoid moving your nose and causing yourself unnecessary pain.
4. Sleep with your head elevated during the first week after the healing process. This will help speed the resolution of any swelling or bruising that occurs after surgery.
5. For at least two weeks following your rhinoplasty procedure, you need to avoid vigorous exercise. Three weeks after your rhinoplasty you can begin easing back into your exercise routine; however, avoid any activities that could result in a smack in the nose by means of a ball or elbow (e.g., volleyball and basketball).
6. Do not eat foods that require excessive chewing. After your rhinoplasty procedure, you need to consume simple, mild foods that require very little effort to eat.
7. Following your rhinoplasty procedure, avoid brushing your teeth in an aggressive manner. Aggressive brushing may move your upper-lip, which connects to your nose. The less you move the parts of your face surrounding your nose, the faster you will heal.
8. For three months following your rhinoplasty procedure, do not expose the skin on your nose to the sun unless you are wearing sunscreen. Using sunscreen whenever you are spending time in the sun is highly recommended. After your rhinoplasty procedure, limiting your exposure to the sun is critical because too much sun can permanently discolor your nose or result in poor healing.
9. Do not wear your glasses (or sunglasses) for approximately six weeks following your rhinoplasty procedure. If you already have contact lenses, now is the time to use them. Another option is to use tape, applying the tape from the bridge of the glasses to the forehead so that the glasses do not rest on your nasal bones.
10. Do not smoke for the initial three weeks before and three weeks after your rhinoplasty procedure. If you do smoke, now may be the perfect time to quit.
A Rhinoplasty Frequently Helps Patients Breathe Easier and Improves Their Self-Esteem
Many people find that they are able to breathe better after their Rhinoplasty (nose reshaping) procedure. Additionally, a rhinoplasty can help people who are unhappy with the way their nose looks. A rhinoplasty can increase your self-esteem by making you feel better about the way you look.